Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting in District 23: A Walk-through


On the way to the polls this morning, you wouldn't know that we are on the cusp of an "historic" election that will "change" our "vision" of the "future".

The sun was shining. It was warmer than I thought it would be at this time of the year. People were just coming out of their apartments heading to work or the park or the grocery store or, like me, to the polls.

Everything was casual. No one was rushing around to try and get in on the "most important election in our nation's history" (How many times have you heard that one?). The local football team was even out doing laps and running contact drills. All is normal.

Well, until I got into the polling station. There were PEOPLE in there! Past elections, I've been the only one to walk in, chat with the little old ladies, smile my non-threatening smile, vote and wave goodbye. Now I had to wait. In a line. With other people. Madness!

So, this gave me a great opportunity to do what I do for a living. Observe and write. What did I observe? Well, the twenty or so people in line ran the gamut of demographics. Old, young, black, white, male, female. This is a true microcosm of America. The one thing that struck me, was no was really talking. You get a group of people together in a small room, all from the same neighborhood and you're bound to have a little banter. Granted, there were a couple of waves from one person to another, a smile here, a "how ya doin'?" there, but no one was really TALKING.

I guess I expected to hear, oh, I don't know, "blah, blah, blah McCain" or "Obama, blah, blah, blah". Nope. Not a thing. I kind of find that interesting considering the "historic" nature of this election. There was really no BUZZ. Maybe it was out of courtesy or shyness or based on one person who had no idea how to work the machines, ignorance. Who knows? Oh well.

Actually, the highlight of my time in line, was watching a Poll Challenger. He was a young guy with those hip thick-rimmed glasses, dark blazer and open collar shirt. I don't know if he was trying to look intimidating or he was just bored, but he just stood there and when a voter gave his or her name, he looked on his list to confirm they are actual voters (and one of his party or the other) then returned to staring off into space. I felt like that naturalist from the Geico commercials.

The line moved along, I went into the voting booth, pressed the necessary buttons and left. Thirteen minutes, in and out. Not bad.

Now, we wait to see how historic this election truly will be.
Almost forgot: Steelers 23, Redskins 6. One upset down, one to go.

1 comment:

Christopher J. Obudho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.